Accessible data

This is a proposed new standard glossary term. See this post for background on this review track. To comment on the term below either click the blue “Reply” button at the bottom or select a passage of text in the term and click the “Quote” pop-up to create a comment about that section only.

Short Definition: Data that is readily and appropriately retrievable by humans and machines through a standard protocol.

Extended Definition: Readily and appropriately retrievable by humans and machines through a standard protocol. The FAIR data principles’ definition of accessibility also requires that unless there is a legitimate reason to protect the data, to be accessible also means that the data should be Open (libre) and free (gratis). Where data need to be protected and should be accessed only by appropriately accredited persons, then authentication and authorization protocols must be instituted.

Synonyms:

Acronym:

Related Terms:

Sources: https://www.force11.org/group/fairgroup/fairprinciples

Term Lead: Simon Hodson

Does that include for commercial use?

I would say yes, the details depending on the type of license used.

Furthermore, following the FORCE-page, shouldn’t we mention metadata as well?

I think you may get some problems with the word “appropriately retrievable” in the short definition. Who decides what appropriate means? Understandings as to what ‘appropriately retrievable’ means could vary wildly from group to group.

In the extended definition, do we use the term accessible in the broad sense of the information being out there to be discovered, with no barriers to that discovery? I suspect this is the case, but there is also issues of accessibility that come into play, which refer more to data being available in such a way that it accommodates different modes of access preferences or needs from individuals with perceptual disabilities. I have in mind here WICAG 2.0 accessibility considerations.

I would argue that for data to follow principles such as those eloquently captured in FAIR, the element of accessibility must be truly reflect accessibility for all, and not merely for the sighted.

Thank you for your comments, Matt. I agree that the phrase “appropriately retrievable” requires clarification. My sense is that “accessible” in the definition of this term means no barriers to discovery and retrieval, but does not necessarily extend to WICAG 2.0 accessibility. If this is the case, it should be made clear in the definition.

This topic was automatically closed after 0 minutes. New replies are no longer allowed.

This topic was automatically closed after 0 minutes. New replies are no longer allowed.