Article publication charge

This is a proposed new standard glossary term. See this post for background on this review track. To comment on the term below either click the blue “Reply” button at the bottom or select a passage of text in the term and click the “Quote” pop-up to create a comment about that section only.

Short Definition: Charge levied by a publisher to an author (or their funder or institution) to publish an article. Such charges may include but are not limited to: APCs; page charges; publishing charges or fees; submission charges; colour charges.

Extended Definition: Charge levied by a publisher to an author (or their funder or institution) to publish an article. Such charges may include, but are not limited to: APCs; page charges; publishing charges or fees; submission charges; colour charges; charge for reprints; cover image charge; supplemental data publication fee; third party copyright charges. Most of these charges are not related (either directly or indirectly) to the article being published open access. Publishers of OA articles usually charge other publication charges in addition to APCs.

Synonyms: Publication fee, Page and colour charges, Non-APC publication charges

Acronym:

Related Terms: Page charges, Publishing charges or fees, Submission charges, Colour charges, Charge for reprints, Cover image charge, Supplemental data publication fee, Third party copyright charges.

Sources:

Term Lead: CASRAI Editor

Does ‘APC’ within the definition stand for ‘Article Processing Charge’ (usually synonymous with OA fee)? May be confusing to have the glossary term with the same acronym but a wider meaning. Should the term just be ‘Publication charges’?

I think we should stick with APC/article publication charge as it’s a commonly accepted term, but should include ‘article processing charge’ as a synonym

note: just seen that article processing charge is defined separately - in which case I agree with Jackie that ‘publication charges’ might be better to avoid confusion

Is it definitely true that ‘Publishers of OA articles usually charge other publication charges in addition to APCs’? I don’t have evidence to hand, but wouldn’t think this is case for the majority of OA publishers, though I know many subscription publishers will levy additional charges.

“Some publishers of OA articles sometimes charge other publication charges in addition to APCs.”

We think that this situation that is reflected in many definitions, focuses more on commercial publishers and the look of the North … in Latin America, this situation is given very little.

This topic was automatically closed after 0 minutes. New replies are no longer allowed.

This topic was automatically closed after 0 minutes. New replies are no longer allowed.