Meeting Notes - CRediT Programme Committee - 10-03-2017

credit

#1

Date/Time: October 3rd, 2017 11am – 12noon EST

Meeting Chair: Simon Kerridge

Present: Alison O’Connell (notes), Cory Craig, Helen Atkins (co-chair), Liz Allen, Simon Kerridge (co-chair), David Baker (CASRAI Office)

Apols: Elisa De Ranieri, Jord Hanus, Holly Falk-Krzesinski, Joy Davidson, Lisa Walton, Eric M Prager, Euan Adie, Georgina Humphreys, Gabe Harp, Ade Deane-Prat.

Notes from Meeting

Introductions

  • Relatively low turnout for this first call - noted that short notice and early stage for new group may be a factor; hoping to improve at second call
  • David confirms all committee members have completed registration on the forum
  • Review of minutes from 5th July meeting

Progress on actions

  • Icons:

    • icons for ‘badging’ author roles [gigascience used to use them, no longer using post-publisher change to OUP]. 14 icons exist, but don’t appear to be in use. ACTION: David and Liz to reach out to find. [Update post meeting: badge icons found - DONE many thanks to Kaitlin Thaney!]
    • Also a need for a single icon for CRediT “icon” to denote a service is adopting the standard/guidance. ACTION: David to propose a solution building off the existing work done above for the Badges and in liaison with the overall CASRAI branding work at the Board level.
  • Need to identify synonyms for HASS subject areas:

    • members mention multiple stakeholder requests to build-out more detailed terms (hierarchy) beneath current terms
    • Request from Liz (also founding Co-chair of CRediT) to hold off on specificity until there is wider adoption - agreed
    • Possible need to expand the definitions with broader contexts before further consideration of more terms - agreed
    • Possibility to welcome ‘mapping’ proposals from the wider community - mapping specific contribution items to existing lower-level terms in other taxonomies “(i.e. provided genetic material) - agreed
      • ACTIONS: David and Cory to discuss offline how to expand the public Forum area for CRediT to facilitate this wider community engagement (i.e. posting, commenting, voting, etc) Committee to consider a task group formation to tackle the contextual expansion of the current definitions.
  • Potential funding

    • Noted that the CASRAI Board has formed a Development Committee to look at two key sources for new funding (including for CRediT): grant-seeking and building up financial capacity through more members and partners contributing annual fees;
    • Grant possibilities include:
      • Moore foundation
      • Arnold Foundation
      • Sloan Foundation
      • Canadian “Open Science” funding org – ACTION: Liz to get back to the Committee with the name of this org
      • Noted that Adrian Stanley is President of SSP – might “support” a bid
      • Cory mentioned Institute of Museum and Library Services might be appropriate
  • Survey of current usage

    • Which systems, in addition to EM offer integration – ACTION: Helen will ask Project MECA vendors which of them are integrating CRediT (this will cover EJP, BenchPress, ScholarOne)
    • Review current term usage (i.e. who has just provided software alone, or funding alone). ACTION: Helen will explore getting raw data from PLOS use; ACTION: Committee to consider how to publish this data for community analysis (in the above-noted community engagement strategy re David and Cory).
    • PLOS – possibility of surveying authors;
    • ACTION: Alison to confirm whether additional EM journals have adopted
  • Selecting a new co-chair: Simon will need to step away as he has recently assumed the Chair of the CASRAI Board of Directors. Liz Allen volunteered to join Helen as Co-chair of the CRediT Programme Committee.

Other Business

  • Cory is writing a chapter on CRediT for an ACS Symposium Series book. Looking perhaps a co-author for a chapter. Helen, Liz express interest in collaborating. See separate posting in the private Forum area for this committee
  • organisation and maintenance of the website: Board is working on resourcing for an over-haul of the current main site
    future plans for outreach
  • Simon and Helen to speak to ScholarOne on Friday re: integration plans
  • PC composition… are there any orgs/org types that should be represented that aren’t?
  • ICMJE interested but they perhaps think there is a missing role…? It could be a question of terminology, need to go back to them
  • Do we do something for #OpenAccess week? 3rd week of Oct.?
  • Introduction to CASRAI volunteer “committee roles” as outlined here. CRediT Chairs will be seeking volunteers in the coming weeks to serve in these other roles.

Actions from Meeting

  1. ACTION: David to propose a solution building off the existing work done above for the Badges and in liaison with the overall CASRAI branding work at the Board level.
  2. ACTION: David and Cory to discuss offline how to expand the public Forum area for CRediT to facilitate this wider community engagement (i.e. posting, commenting, voting, etc)
  3. ACTION Committee to consider a task group formation to tackle the contextual expansion of the current definitions.
  4. ACTION: Liz to get back to the Committee with the name of the CDN funding org
  5. ACTION: Helen will ask Project MECA vendors which of them are integrating CRediT (this will cover EJP, BenchPress, ScholarOne)
  6. ACTION: Helen will explore getting raw data from PLOS use;
  7. ACTION: Committee to consider how to publish PLOS data for community analysis (in the above-noted community engagement strategy re David and Cory).
  8. ACTION: Alison to confirm whether additional EM journals have adopted

Adjourned.